What are the best PS5 games of 2021?
- Astro’s Playroom. Sony includes a pre-installed Astro’s Playroom with every system, and it was definitely the right decision to do so. This delightful platforming game follows Astro as he explores the innards of the PlayStation 5 across several unique worlds. This upbeat, infectiously happy adventure lets you explore a variety of unique areas themed around different parts of the PS5, all while trying out various features of the new DualSense controller.
- Dirt 5 . One of the first racing titles on PS5 is the eighth Dirt game for players following the series, and its first foray into next-gen is well worth jumping into. This off-road racing bonanza has you following a variety of different race disciplines, including ice racing and off-roading. Events take place in locations from China to New York City, with no shortage of different areas to race in. There’s also a car for everyone, whether you’re into 80s Rally cars to Super Lites or Unlimited. You’ve got regular cars, buggies, Beetles, and trucks to contend with, all lovingly rendered and looking absolutely fantastic.
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales. This is a continuation of Marvel’s Spider-Man that follows Miles Morales, another hero who also found himself bitten by a genetically-enhanced spider, giving him powers much like Peter Parker. As a fledgling hero, he’s still learning the ins and outs of what it means to be the protector of the city. It’s an electric follow-up with new moves, missions, and perhaps the best hero this year in Miles Morales that comic fans will enjoy every single moment of, especially thanks to its admirable performance on PS5.
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. This is not only a great game; it’s also a fantastic showcase of the PS5’s capabilities. It features rapid load times and subtle DualSense haptic feedback — but those aren’t the primary reasons why you’ll want to play it. Instead, Rift Apart will almost certainly win you over with its colorful aesthetics, tight gameplay and heartfelt story. It picks up where Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus left off back in 2013, but also acts as a perfect jumping-on point for newcomers to the series. With 15-20 hours of gameplay, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart feels substantial without overstaying its welcome.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. The latest entry in the Call of Duty series is just as explosive as ever. The single-player campaign is akin to watching an action-packed Hollywood blockbuster, as it’s set during the Cold War in the ’80s. Gripping gunplay and satisfying combat aside, the Call of Duty narrative breaks away into multiplayer modes that coincide with Call of Duty: Warzone. It’s more of the same that players year over year will have come to expect, but much more full-featured and satisfying thanks to next-gen improvements. Moreover, the Zombies mode returns with a story that follows the “Tag der Toten” continuity. This is the first shooter you’ll want to play on PS5, and it’s well worth every second of your time.
The PS5 is still a fairly new console, so there are still plenty more games on their way. You can also play the best PS4 games on PS5, thanks to the system’s comprehensive backwards compatibility. Whether you want to bring your classic favorites to the new console or feel like delving into the past, you’ll have the ability to do so with the PS5.